<!--[if IE]><![endif]-->
Europe
Europe

France Lyon: Police appeal after parcel bomb attack hurts 13

  • 24 May 2019
injured in Lyon Image copyright AFP Image caption The injured were taken to hospital

French police have made an appeal for information in their hunt for a man suspected of planting a parcel bomb in Lyon, which injured 13 people.

The device went off outside a bakery on a busy street in the heart of the country's third-biggest city.

Those hurt, including a girl aged eight, appear to have suffered superficial injuries.

Anti-terrorist prosecutors have taken over the investigation and security has been boosted in public places.

Police released a grainy image of the suspect taken from CCTV footage.

Image copyright AFP

They said he was wearing a long-sleeved dark top and light-coloured shorts.

A police source told AFP news agency the suspect appeared to be about 30 and was using a black mountain bike.

What do we know so far?

The device, which was reportedly full of screws, nuts and bolts, exploded around 17:30 local time (15:30 GMT) on Victor-Hugo Street, in the historic city centre, between the Saone and Rhone rivers.

Image copyright Reuters Image caption Police sealed off the scene

French media quoted a receptionist at a nearby hotel as saying there had been a "deafening blast".

"I saw people running and panicking and heard several cries," Alexis Saillan told BFMTV.

Image copyright AFP Image caption Explosives experts worked at the scene after Friday's blast

The last time a parcel bomb had exploded in France was in 2007 when a device killed one person and injured another in front of a law office in Paris, AFP news agency reports. Police never found the bomber.

Jihadist gun and bomb attacks have killed more than 250 people in France since 2015 and the country remains on high alert, with military patrols a regular feature of security in cities including Lyon.

The blast in Lyon comes days before France votes in the European elections after a closely fought race.

Related Topics

Top Stories

Local lockdowns will be used to stop 'flare-ups'

The health secretary says coronavirus restrictions are part of plans to suppress infections in England.

26 May 2020
Coronavirus anti-viral drug 'biggest step forward'
26 May 2020
Minister quits over Cummings' lockdown actions
26 May 2020

Features

'Our children are all shut behind closed doors'

The human cost of virus misinformation

Bringing someone else's child into your home in a pandemic

Video

What is SpaceX and why is it working with Nasa?

Why Merkel may help fund Europe's virus recovery

'When Northern Soul is playing it feels like home'

Video

Barber therapy: Men missing more than a haircut

Video

The mystery of the 'giant wombat' and other megafauna

Video

Life and death on coronavirus ward

Elsewhere on the BBC